The Dirt: The old Spokane No.1 fire station building will be redeveloped into a new restaurant and bar in downtown Spokane
Spokane-based Copeland Architecture & Construction has filed a pre-development application with the city on behalf of property owner B&H Enterprises LLC No. 1 to convert a two-story building that once housed Spokane Fire Station No. 1 for a project described as a Firehouse restaurant at 418 W. First Ave.
Preliminary site plans call for a dining room and bar on the ground floor and a second dining room with two rooms for large groups on the upper floor. The basement will house cold and dry warehouses, an office and a commercial kitchen. Two site plans were submitted to the city, each showing different stair configurations in the building.
B&H Enterprises LLC No. 1, whose directors are Craig Hult, George Bourekis and John Heath III, purchased the property for $ 1.5 million in 2008, according to records from the Spokane County Appraiser’s Office.
Fire Station No. 1 was built and inaugurated in 1890, following the Great Fire of 1889. It was the first fire station with paid firefighters. Prior to the construction of Fire Hall No. 1, the town was served by the Spokane Falls Volunteer Fire Department.
The red-brick firehouse was known at the time to be “more lavish than functional” with its ornate decorations, cast pewter ceilings and a polished brass post descending from the upper level to the ground floor, according to Spokane. Historical, a university in eastern Washington. history project.
The department ended up getting too big for the building. In 1911, the department began operating motorized fire trucks, which were too wide for the building’s bay doors.
Spokane Fire Station No. 1, along with three other fire stations, closed in 1933 to make way for a larger fire station.
The headquarters of the Spokane Fire Department – now known as Station 1 – is located at 44 W. Riverside Ave.
The former First Avenue Fire Station housed a boys’ club for several years and was later occupied by Riley Candy Co., who installed an elevator and painted the building’s exterior red brick.
After Riley Candy left the building, it remained vacant until 1972 when it became the headquarters of Bank and Office Supply Co. The building also housed a greeting card store, a bespoke sewing business. and Gemelli coffee roasting, according to a Spokesman-Review article. published in 2008.
The Bruchi plans restaurant on the former Hugo site
Bruchi’s Cheesesteaks & Subs, a Spokane-based sandwich chain, plans to build a new location on a site formerly occupied by Hugo’s on the Hill in the Lincoln Heights Mall.
Architecture All Forms, of Spokane, has filed a pre-development application with the city to build a 2,400 square foot Bruchi restaurant near the southwest corner of Fiske Street and 27th Avenue on South Hill.
Bruchi’s had filed a separate permit application with the city earlier this year to build a restaurant at 4221 S. Regal St., but plans have not progressed beyond a pre-development conference.
Hugo’s on the Hill, a former bowling alley, closed in 2019. A demolition permit was approved by the city last year for the 30,000 square foot property.
Bruchi’s was founded by Bruce Greene in 1990. The restaurant chain changed its name to Bruchi’s Cheesesteaks & Subs in 1991 after successfully selling cheesesteaks.
Bruchi’s has seven branches in the Spokane area, including a restaurant at 2804 E. 29th Ave. on South Hill.
Medical office building to be constructed in Spokane Valley
The developers plan to build a new medical office near the southeast corner of Mirabeau Drive and Mansfield Avenue in the Spokane Valley.
Spokane-based Bernardo | Wills Architects has filed a pre-development application with the city for a 12,995 square foot medical office building on 2 acres of vacant land south of the Tru by Hilton Spokane Valley hotel.
Centennial Properties is the owner, according to the Spokane County Appraiser’s Office. Centennial Properties is a subsidiary of Cowles Co., which also publishes The Spokesman-Review.
Baker Construction & Development, of Spokane, is the contractor for the project.
The valuation of the project is $ 4.5 million, depending on demand.